Introduction to its Genesis
including its Registration Status
The Anjuman-I-Islam, Mumbai was founded in 1874 by a small group of devote Muslims lead by none other than Dr. Badruddin Tyabji (First Chief Justice of Bombay High Court) with a ‘desire to see the Muslim Community rise higher in the moral, social and educational scale’. It started with one school and today it has more than eighty institutions from pre-primary schools to graduate and postgraduate level including, College of Engineering & Polytechnic, Unani Medical College, College of Education, College of Commerce & Economics, Institute of Management Studies, College of Hotel management and Catering Technology, College of Home Science etc. It has a high reputation of being a Muslim minority organization catering to the needs of more than 100 Thousand students under its umbrella (even larger than university like Aligarh Muslim University).
At present the prime focus of the Anjuman is towards quality, transparency, growth and of course to become world class . Anjuman is therefore fully focused on establishing an integrated campus in Navi Mumbai having faculties in Engineering, Management, Pharmacy, Architecture and Computer applications (Information Technology). Besides, Anjuman-I-Islam provides several services and facilities to the society through various programmes and also manages a number of trusts as indicated in the enclosed list. (Please See Annexure A)
The constitution of Anjuman-I-Islam has changed in the last hundred years. In 1946 an association called the “ANJUMAN-I-ISLAM ASSOCIATION” was incorporated under the Indian Companies Act of 1913. The Anjuman now acts as an incorporated body having its own Memorandum of Association and Articles of Association. The Anjuman also acts as trustee for a number of charities in addition to Anjuman-I-Islam Charities governed by the scheme of 1932.
The Anjuman-I-Islam is registered with the Charity Commissioner and Registrar of Companies vide certificate.
No. E-36 (BOM) Anjuman-I-Islam Association (Charity Commissioner)
No. 5357 of 1946–47 dated 20.11.1946 (Registrar of Companies)
The Anjuman-I-Islam has 45 Members General Council which is responsible for all major policy decisions. There is also an Executive Council comprising of the President, Office-bearers, and Executive Chairpersons of different Boards. The Registered Office of Anjuman-I-Islam is located at Off. 92, Dr. D.N. Road, Opp. C.S.T. Railway Station, Mumbai 400 001.
The aims and objectives for which the Anjuman-I-Islam is established are given in the Memorandum of Association of Anjuman-I-Islam (Please See Annexure C).
From the Presidential Address
The organizational structure of the
Activities of the Promoting Body including a listing of major educational promotion activities undertaken by it in the past
At present the Anjuman-I-Islam manages more than 80 institutions covering more than 100,000 boys and girls (in the ratio 2:1) with an annual budget of over Rs. 70 crores. Its institutions are at Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, New Panvel, Matheran, Pune, Panchagani, Solapur and Raigad in Maharashtra. The Anjuman-I-Islam has taken up projects in the fields of education and social welfare as well and is the foremost educational institution of minorities in the country. Though the Anjuman-I-Islam is managed by the largest minority of India, it has, however kept its door open to all communities. It is a symbol of Secularism and National Integration as acknowledged by the Government of Maharashtra and the government of India. It is enjoying minority character status.
- In acknowledgement of excellence of educational and social services rendered by the Anjuman-I-Islam over a period of 100 years, the Government of Maharashtra recognized the Anjuman-I-Islam as a “Best Educational and Social organization” and Awarded Certificate of Excellence with a cheque of Rs. One Lakh on the Teacher’s Day i.e. 5th September, 2000. (Please See Annexure D).
- The Anjuman-I-Islam Urdu Research institute is engaged in research activities in Urdu, Persian, Arabic and Islamic Studies, which has been accredited by the University of Mumbai for Ph.D. Program me. It publishes quarterly literary magazine in Urdu “Nawa-e-Adab” and published number of books on various topics.
- The Anjuman-I-Islam M. H. Saboo Siddik College of Engineering, established in 1983 conducts regular degree courses affiliated to Mumbai UniversityThis college was accredited and also Declared as “A” grade college by the Directorate of Technical Education in the state. This college was first to start degree program me in Automobile Engineering and was only one college offering this course till recent times. The university examination results of this college have been consistently excellent and the students have secured first, second &; third ranks of University level.
- The Anjuman-I-Islam M. H. Saboo Siddik Polytechnic established in 1958 was enjoying autonomous status granted by the Higher and Technical Education Department of Govt. of Maharashtra under World Bank project. At present it is affiliated back to the Maharashtra State Board of Technical Education (MSBTE). The Government of Maharashtra recognized this Polytechnic as “Best Polytechnic of Maharashtra” and awarded a Certificate of Excellence with a cheque of Rs. One Lakh on the Teacher’s Day i.e. 5th September, 2000. This institute besides conducting full time diploma courses in Engineering, also conduct several short term technical and vocational courses on part time and full time basis in Computer technology, Electrician, Draughtsman ship, Automobile, Printing, Fashion designing etc. It also conducts part time diploma courses exclusively for working professionals and diploma in marine Engineering approved by both the AICTE and Directorate General of Shipping, in collaboration with Mazgaon Docks Limited (MDL) and Mumbai port trust (MPT).
- The Anjuman-I-Islam started another Polytechnic named A.R. Kalsekar Polytechnic at New Panvel (Navi Mumbai)in the year 2003 due to a huge demand for the diploma courses witnessed over the years at MHSS Polytechnic. In a very short duration, this polytechnic has developed into a land mark institute in Konkan area. Also its infrastructure and other facilities are no less than that required for an Engineering college.
- The Anjuman-I-Islam conducts AHEAD Program me (Anjuman Human Enrichment and Development)for training its teachers for effective and meaningful teaching of students through Urdu and English Medium of instruction from primary to secondary and higher secondary level. The Anjuman-I-Islam conducts training classes for Adult Education, Destitute Women, Sports and Games as well as cultural activities at various levels throughout the year.
- The Anjuman-I-Islam Dr. M. I. Jamkhanawala Unani Medical College and A. E. Kalsekar Hospitalhas a plan to start postgraduate courses in Unani Medicine as well as teaching and research in alternate systems of medicines in conformity with the policies and guidelines of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare of the Government of Maharashtra and Government of India. The hospital consists of state of art facilities and a large number of people are deriving benefit out of this.
- The Anjuman-I-Islam A. K. Hafizka Institute of HotelManagement & Catering Technology has already established linkage with the Tourism Industry and three – five star hotels for training and placement and proposes to provide linkages with the national and international agencies in the related areas and have developed several noble approaches and method for effective teaching and training. Students of this institute have topped in Maharashtra State Board Examination.
- The Anjuman-I-Islam Allana Institute of Management Studies besides conducting regular MBA program me proposes to provide various part-time training courses for the graduate, post graduate, small businessmen, retailers as well as for the family businesses in the fields of finance, marketing and office management etc.
- In 1980s Anjuman-I-Islam had only 20 institutions while Today it has more than 80 institutions under its umbrella, financed by the Anjuman-I-Islam with a few institutions getting aid from the State Government. It has a policy of taking care of its faculty and staff by granting scale of pay as per the Pay Commission’s recommendations.
- The Anjuman-I-Islam also shouldered the responsibility of managing and administering 26 different trusts of social service and charity.
- The Anjuman-I-Islam provides hostel facilities at Anjuman-I-Islam Complex, C.S.T., Mumbai, Panchagani and Versova (Mumbai). Staff Quarters at Saboo Siddik Institution (Byculla) and Versova in Mumbai. Academic buildings are under construction at Versova and New Panvel (New Mumbai). These buildings and properties are owned and managed by the Anjuman-I-Islam.
- The Anjuman-I-Islam also has buildings under construction at Vashi, Panvel for immediate projects such as Colleges of Engineering, Pharmacy, Architecture, Business Management, Computer Science, Polytechnic etc.
- Library facilities are available in all institutions where books and journals on different subjects are available in sufficient number for reference and study.
- The Anjuman-I-Islam keeping in view the needs of the society and relevance has drawn up future programmes, which include College of engineering, Pharmacy, Architecture and Computer applications etc. The Anjuman-I-Islam is particularly promoting facilities for education and training to women at all levels with formal and non-formal education.
- The Anjuman-I-Islam aspiring to become a world class organization with a view to provide an opportunity to reorganize/remodel courses and can play pro-active role in respect of appropriate and needed human resource development and thereby extending better services to the citizens in general and minority, other weaker sections and women in particular in the overall development of the state and the country.